Which Scheme?

Which scheme would I need to be assessed under?

Once you have decided to participate in a scheme, you will need to decide which one best fits your establishment. Although by no means exhaustive, our list below details all of the categories we cover including hotels, holiday villages, hostels and holiday parks.

Hotel Accommodation

A Hotel must have a minimum of 5 bedrooms, be licensed and offer dinner (unless suitable for Metro Hotel category). All bedrooms must be ensuite or have a private bathroom.

Budget Hotel

These are usually part of a large ‘branded’ hotel group offering, clean and comfortable, offer en-suite facilities, 24-hour reservations and a consistent level of facilities.

Guest Accommodation including Room Only

Guest Accommodation properties are likely to be smaller than Hotels, have more of a family home feel and approach and offer a less structured service.

Self-Catering Accommodation

This includes all accommodation with its own kitchen and bathroom facilities. Most take bookings by the week, generally from a Friday or Saturday, but short breaks are increasingly common.

Serviced Apartment

Serviced Apartments provide an excellent alternative to Hotel Accommodation, commonly found in many of our big cities, offering hotel services such as maid service, concierge in addition to a self-contained unit with a kitchen.

Holiday, Touring & Camping Park

The rating for Holiday Homes and Touring and Camping Parks reflect the overall quality of the park. This includes Parks that cater for Touring Caravans and/or tents and may or may not include Caravan Holiday Homes, some of which may be available for hire.

Holiday Village

A Holiday Village usually comprises of a variety of types of accommodation with the majority provided in custom-built rooms (e.g. Chalet, Hotel rooms) on a large complex. A range of facilities and activities are also available which may or may not be included in the tariff.

Hostel Accommodation

This includes Bunkhouses, Camping Barns, Back Packer, Group (such as Youth Hostel Accommodation) and Activity Accommodation.

University / Campus

As the name suggests, this scheme applies to educational establishments where ratings can be further split into Guest Accommodation or Self Catering, if these are more appropriate schemes. However, in general, campus accommodation is on a college or university site, with some aspects of communal living space.

Individual Caravan Holiday Home

This includes Caravan Holiday Homes situated on Farms or Caravan Parks and are let by the owner as Self-Catering Accommodation.

Hire Craft & Hotel Boat

This scheme covers Narrow boats, Cruisers and Hotel Boats in small and large fleets across England’s waterways, the star ratings awarded reflect a combination of service, facilities and the overall quality and comfort of the boat.

Alternative Accommodation

Alternative accommodation refers to self-catering based accommodation that is more unusual. For example: Wigwams & camping pods, nomadic structures, tents, railway carriages, shepherds trailers, tree houses, Romany caravans and camper vans.

Additional Assessment Options – Accessibility

This scheme provides a set of Accessible Standards against which establishments are assessed and awarded a rating. They cover three types of impairment – Mobility, Hearing and Visual.